1. You don’t need to come with a partner. So it is perfect for single people.iStock_close-jive-dance
2. It doesn’t matter if you miss a week.
3. The more you dance in the freestyle the faster you will build your dancing confidence.
4. At modern jive the women ask the men to dance as much as the men ask the women. We don’t stand on ceremony here.
5. For fast track learning, try a 4-hour weekend workshop.
6. A modern jive dance class is more like an evening dance social. You will be able to dance a 3-4 move routine after your first class – even if you’ve never danced before.
7. Saying no to someone when they ask you for a dance is considered unusual at Jive Nation Toronto. Of course, if you’re taking a break because you’ve been dancing, that’s understood!
8. Teachers are very approachable and happy to go through the routine and dance moves with you.
9. It usually takes about 6-12 beginner’s dance classes before you’ll feel comfortable in an Intermediate class. Some people feel comfortable earlier, some need more time. And it’s always good to do the Beginner class – even if you feel you’ve nailed everything. Dancers are always learning.
10. Modern Jive is partner dancing with a “lead” and a “follow.”The “lead” (usually the man) leads, the follow (usually the lady) follows. Sometimes you will see ladies dancing “the designated lead role,” for example when balancing genders in class.
11. Modern Jive is social dancing. Having fun and being social is central to every class and you will see it from your very first dance class. Everyone is rotated during the teaching part of class so everyone gets to dance with different people each night. It’s a great way to meet lots of different people every single class session.
12. You don’t have to be a great dancer to attend a modern jive dance social. One of the fastest ways to learn to dance confidently is to “just do it.” If you’re a modern jive beginner and you ask for a dance you will find people happy to dance with you and help you on your dance journey.
13. Learning to dance is a brave step for many and modern jive dance classes are designed to make beginners feel as comfortable from their very first class. The best way to become a confident dancer is to attend regular modern jive dance classes (especially as you are learning) attend modern jive dance socials as often as you can, and dance in the freestyle each class.